Wednesday, May 8, 2013

How did members of my family and I contract Chronic Lyme Disease?

Research is lacking, but some scientists say that multiple family members often become infected together since they spend time together. However, more research is coming out about mother's passing Lyme Disease on to their children in utero. You can contract it from tick bites (and now they think spiders, mosquitos, etc...), blood transfusions, organ donation, etc. (to learn more click this link)

Most likely, my father (who has Lyme disease and has almost completed his treatment) passed it on to my mother, who may have the Lyme spirochetes in her system but they have remained dormant. My sister Julia and I most likely were born with Lyme disease. My youngest sister, Christi, has shown no symptoms of Lyme disease.

Lyme attacks different people in different ways--it finds a weakness in your body and exploits it. For example, my sister Julia was diagnosed with Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis when she was two years old. She has had several additional diagnoses, but JRA has been her main battle the entirety of her life. Lyme attacked her joints, giving her severe JRA. Rheumatoid Arthritis is one of the symptoms of Chronic Lyme, and after an evaluation by a Lyme Literate Medical Doctor (LLMD), she was diagnosed with Chronic Lyme Disease, too. You can see my previous post about my pre-lyme diagnoses to see how Lyme attacked my body.


No comments:

Post a Comment